Saturday, January 21, 2012

Anally Raped by a Jackhammer?

I'd had rectal pain and bleeding for years, before I moved to California. In fact, back in 1995, I had read a book called Why Christians Get Sick and decided to radically change my diet, in order to prevent cancer, or to reverse cancer I felt sure I may already have. I'll write more about that later, but the information in that book and more is all available at www.hacres.com.

In 2007, rectal pain and bleeding became frequent and severe. I went for a colonoscopy and was tested for many possible issues. I was told I was fine. In fall of 2008, I moved to California, leaving my car behind. I would ride public transportation everywhere. On the city's buses, I would be in excruciating pain. I thought the buses were horribly engineered to cause pain and suffering. I felt like I was being anally raped with a jackhammer, every time I sat on a bus. Rectal bleeding increased to the point where there would be bright red clouds of blood in the toilet after a bowel movement.

After several months, as pain and bleeding continued to worsen, I began to fear that I had colon or rectal cancer, and I could hardly wait until I had health insurance through my job, which finally happened, late in 2009. I had met a nurse on the bus, before I had insurance, who had said that the recession was resulting in many deaths among patients at her practice. She said a lot of people who lost their jobs and had no insurance were waiting too long to see the doctor about their symptoms, and by the time they came in, the cancer was so advanced that they could not be saved. She worked in a gastroenterology office.

I made an appointment with my newly selected primary care physician, and I told her my symptoms. She exclaimed, "Oh, my GOd, I hope it's not too late!" And then she calmed a bit and said, "Forgive me, but you could have, I'm sorry, CANCER." She requested an authorization for a visit to a gastroenterologist. I saw Dr. Fisher. He said he'd request an authorization for a colonoscopy. Meanwhile, the bleeding increased.

I called the insurance company to inquire why it was taking so long to approve my authorization. The process seemed to drag on and on. I remember shouting at the person on the phone that I was sure I had cancer and that they were endangering my life by delay.

Finally, the authorization came through. And then it took a while for the gastroenterologist's assistant to schedule me for the procedure.

No comments:

Post a Comment